Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Rainy Month - Sawan Ka Mahina

This was the first film of my life. I saw it with my parents. Must have been 5 years of age then. Characters moving in the screen looked so real, colorful and animated... I was awed !! Couldn't get my little sparkling eyes off the screen. Watching a movie in a small town theater was a rare practice, perhaps once in 6 months for my family. Dad was a busy man ...

Vividly remember this particular melody. The guy here is teaching the young woman a folk song from his village. The film told a story of lovers seperating and uniting lifetime after lifetime only to seperate again in death .. love between a rustic fisherman and this young soulful woman from a conservative aristocratic family. They face immense social barriers. Even as a child, the story left deep impressions on me. The song has the beautiful dialect and tone of my home province Bihar (where "shor" is spoken as "sor"). The meaning goes..

Ah, the month of rains is here,
The swift wind is making a that unique noise.
And my heart is dancing in joy just as a peacock dances in the jungle.

(I'll translate and put complete lyrics later. Good night ..)


No comments: