Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Born to be Free

We composed this song days before Nelson Mandela's release from prison as a tribute to his victory. Mandela was released from prison on Feb 11, 1990 and exactly two years later the greatest thing occurred in my life.

This was the first and the only shot we
-the Architypes - had as a band in writing, composing and recording songs (We only had a night to finish ... phew !!). I guess the songs came from our heart of indisputable admiration for Mandela as a champion of freedom and justice. I didn't know at that time that I would soon after meet my life-mentor Daisaku Ikeda on Feb 11, 1992 at the Siri Fort Auditorium in New Delhi, India. Only weeks before, our band had played to a full audience in this auditorium. How rhythmic !! It was a transforming point in my life. Both Mandela and Ikeda are world leaders and friends and have dialogued on a number of occasions. They both defend and advance the cause of freedom and empowerment for people in their own life arenas. I wanted to do my part as a token of appreciation for great inspiring life-examples.

The lyrics go ...

My words are only for those who care
Guided by the winds of yesteryears
My time has come and gone, I'm living on
A prisoner of time - the world left behind

Those sullen walls around my only friend
Standing by me in mute defense.
Cracks on the floor and walls, lines on my face
Thirty years behind, and the sunsets of my mind

You were born to be
Like the restless wind,
You were born, born to be free

-------------
Architypes line-up for this song:

Harsh Mishra - lead vocals & rhythm guitar
RC Joshi - bass, lead guitar & vocals
Anil Nangla - drums
Sawan Dutta - keyboards & vocals (not seen here)

Other key members of Architypes who could not be a part of this recording:

Indrajit Dutta - lead guitar & vocals
Pauly - drums
Shailesh Dongre - keyboards

No comments: